Freshmen and Transfer Admissions

All freshmen, students transferring from other colleges or universities (external transfers), and international student admissions are handled solely by the University of Texas Office of Admissions. The Department of Radio-Television-Film does not review admission applications nor have any input into final decisions. Please visit the Office of Admissions site for all the necessary information regarding admission to the University, as well as to the College of Communication and RTF. This site also has links to information about housing, financial aid, campus visits, transfer credits, and many other topics.

It is not necessary to submit a portfolio of your creative work in order to be admitted to the Department.

Current UT Austin Students

If you are already a UT student and would like to transfer to the Department of Radio-Television-Film, you must follow a separate application process for internal transfers. Student Advising in the College of Communication, located in BMC 2.600, handles current student internal transfer applications. The OSA Internal Application process takes place during the months of February (for Fall admission) and September (for Spring admission). You are encouraged to attend a College of Communication transfer information session before you apply. If you are interested in meeting with a Prospective Student Advisor, you first must attend one of the College's information sessions.

Students are notified about admission decisions at the end of the semester after semester grades are posted. If you have any questions regarding this process, please visit the OSA Application site. You may also reach them at 512-471-1553.

Non-Degree-Seeking Students

Consult with the Office of Admissions for details regarding non-degree seeking or transient (summer only) admission. Most non-degree seeking or transient students will only be eligible to take lower division Radio-Television-Film courses.

Keep in mind that faculty give priority to degree-seeking Radio-Television-Film majors, and because the department must accommodate a large number of degree-seeking students, access to upper-division Radio-Television-Film courses may be extremely limited for non-degree seeking and transient students. If you have questions about what course/s you can take, please contact Student Advising or your advisor.