Prospective Student FAQ

Q: What areas does the Department of Radio-Television-Film emphasize, such as TV production, preparation for jobs in Hollywood, preparation for making independent films, or development of specific skills like editing, audio mixing, etc.?

A: The undergraduate curriculum encompasses courses in production, screenwriting, and media studies. Students have a great deal of flexibility in the selection of their courses and can create a broader or narrower focus for their Radio-Television-Film education. For additional details, please refer to the undergraduate curriculum pages: Guide to Media Production Courses and Guide to Media Studies Courses.

Q: When I come to visit, how do I make an appointment to talk with someone about Radio-Television-Film?

A: We regret that we are not able to offer individual appointments for prospective students. However, you are welcome to attend a guided tour and information session on selected Friday afternoons. We also suggest that you visit the Office of Admissions and take a campus tour.

In addition, there is printed material available in the hallway outside the Radio-Television-Film office, including information about self-guided tours of labs and studios. You are welcome to this information at any time.

Q: How could I get involved in filmmaking before I start taking production classes?

A: One of the most popular ways to get involved on campus with filmmaking is through the University Filmmakers' Alliance. In addition, you can review the crew calls on the production resource, "The Hub."

We also recommend that you volunteer with any of the university or city-wide film festivals that take place year-round.

Q: What kind of editing programs do you use in your classes?

A: RTF 346 - Introduction to Editing is an introduction to basic editing processes, and to the Avid Media Composer software. Students are eligible for basic-level Avid 101 certification, if they choose, at the end of this course, though certification is not required. RTF 346C - Advanced Editing takes these basic understandings into deeper professional and artistic challenges, and offers interested students the opportunity to achieve Avid 110 certification.

Q: What kind of equipment would I get to use in production classes?

A: We have an impressive array of production equipment. We also have a student ADR/Foley/mix studio, and several fully-equipped editing labs with all relevant software provided. These labs are manned most of the day and evening by proctors who can provide basic-level help and instruction.

Q: What successful filmmakers or other media people went to UT (Radio-Television-Film)?

A: Our alumni go on to enjoy a wide range of careers commercially and independently—including directing, editing, producing, cinematography, special FX, game design, screenwriting, web design, marketing, policymaking, and higher education. Some of these successful alumni are noted on the alumni and friends page.

Q: What scholarships or other financial assistance are available to me when I first come to UT?

A: As a new student at UT, all financial assistance would be coordinated through the university's Office of Student Financial Services (OSFS).

Once you are enrolled as a Radio-Television-Film major and are an upper division student (60 hours of credit), you are eligible to apply for Department of Radio-Television-Film scholarships. These have a variety of criteria and range from $1000 to 2500 per academic year. Students may also apply for College of Communication scholarships once they are an enrolled student.