One grant of up to $1,500 will be awarded.
RTF celebrates excellence in screenwriting by annually awarding the Robert Foshko Memorial Scholarship. One student will receive a stipend for travel to Los Angeles where that student will be set up on general meetings with industry professionals. Open to both graduate and undergraduate students. Both original television pilots and feature films are eligible.
Formerly the “Longhorn Showcase Script Competition," the award was renamed in 2017 in honor of longtime RTF screenwriting professor, Robert Foshko. For nearly three decades, two-time Emmy winner Robert Foshko taught screenwriting and television production at UT’s Department of Radio-TV and Film.
During that time, he established RTF’s screenwriting curriculum, launched its graduate writing program, was a founding member of the Michener Center for Writers, and fundamentally advanced the television production curriculum to meet the rigorous and competitive standards of the business and creative practice of television. In so doing, he influenced and guided the education and careers of countless screenwriting and television students along the way.
Bob and his wife Sally established this scholarship to help support the kinds of screenwriting students he taught and mentored so well during his many years of service at the University of Texas at Austin.
- Both Undergraduate and Graduate applications will be considered.
- Scripts must have been written for an RTF screenwriting course during the 2018 Spring semester or later.
- Only feature-length screenplays and TV pilot scripts qualify. No TV specs will be considered.
- Scripts must not have been previously submitted for past Longhorn Showcase Script Competition or Robert Foshko Memorial Screenwriting Scholarship consideration.
- Winners of previous Longhorn Showcase Script Competitions and Robert Foshko Memorial Screenwriting Scholarship are ineligible.
- Course instructor approval is required.
- One writer may submit multiple scripts; however, each submission requires a separate application.
*Note: In addition to the Bob Foshko Memorial Scholarship in Screenwriting, RTF juniors and seniors who've written a script for an RTF screenwriting course may apply for the Todd Milam Schulze Memorial Scholarship in Screenwriting, administered by the Texas Exes. Please note that the deadline to apply for this scholarship is typically earlier than the RTF department scholarship deadlines.