The Department of Radio-Television-Film offers the following minors for undergraduate students under the 2018–2020 and future catalogs:
- Minor in Media Studies
- Minor in Media and Entertainment Industries.
Detailed information about each minor, as well as application instructions, can be found in the tabs below. Moody College offers several other communications-related minors which may be of interest to RTF majors and others interested in this field, including the Latino Media Arts & Studies minor; find more info on the Latino Media Arts & Studies program site.
Prior to applying, students are encouraged to meet with an academic advisor in their own majors and discuss with their primary major advisor how minors fit into degree plans.
The following are University-wide rules regarding minors:
- The minor must be completed in conjunction with an undergraduate degree at the University of Texas at Austin.
- Minors must include a minimum of six hours of upper-division coursework.
- A student may not earn a minor in the same field of study as his or her major.
- At least nine of the hours required for the minor must include coursework not used to satisfy the requirements of the student’s major; this includes courses in non-major departments that are cross-listed with courses offered within the student’s major department. However, courses in the minor may fulfill other degree requirements such as general education requirements or required elective hours.
- Transcript recognition is awarded at the time of undergraduate degree completion.
Under specific circumstances, the faculty committee may approve course substitutions for minor course requirements. Students should meet with the minors advisor to discuss this process. Petitions will not be reviewed during registration or add/drop periods.