Graduate Funding Resources

Teaching Assistant & Assistant Instructor Appointments

Rights & Responsibilities of TA's and GRA's

If you are employed as a TA or GRA, it is incumbent upon you to know your Rights & Responsibilities.

Scholarships, Fellowships, Loans, and Grants

The Department of Radio-Television-Film awards several fellowships each year to deserving graduate students. Departmental fellowships and University-wide scholarships often require separate applications, so read the application instructions for any scholarship for which you are applying.

This is a great resource from the UT Libraries:  Funding Guide

RTF & College of Communication Fellowships and Scholarships:
We have multiple Moody Fellowships and Scholarships for our graduate students.  There is a $3,000 Moody Doctoral Fellowship for incoming PhD students for four years from the Moody College of Communications. There is no separate application for this fellowship.

There is a Moody Innovation Award competition for MFA in Film and Media Production students who apply for the award.  These are of varying amounts and awarded beginning in the second year of the program.  

The MFA in Screenwriting students are typically offered a Michener Center for Writers Fellowship in the two years of the program.  There is no separate application for this fellowship.

The Department of Radio-Television-Film awards several scholarships made possible by endowments created by alumni and friends of the department. Read more about RTF and Moody College of Communications scholarships. The link to the scholarship application is made available on this page every year. The College of Communication application deadline for the next academic year is always March 31.

Loans & Grants:
For information about financial loans, state and federal grants, and the procedures required to obtain them, consult the Office of Student Financial Services.

******* If you are a FILM STUDENT and you have extra EXPENSES related to your films, you can file a separate form to request more financial aid.  See the Special Circumstances information and fill out the appeal form. *********

International Students should see the International Student Services office for rules about funding and VISA requirements.

Another resource on campus is the Regional Foundation Library; this is a database with sources of funding from foundations.  These are groups, public and private, that give funds to individuals for research, travel and for creative projects, like making films.  You have to go in person to them and they will help you search the database and gather all of the information you need to apply for grant money.   Here is their contact information:

The Production Resource Center (The Cage) also has a compilation of links to granting agencies that will help with film costs, living costs for artists, travel to film festivals, etc.  Check it out on their grant page.

Funding database sponsored by the UT Libraries; this is a great way to search for funding for your specific topic of research; it includes funding from all over the world.

The University of Texas Fellowships:

Graduate Fellowships at UT

Women's and Gender Studies offers awards and fellowships once a year.  Deadline is usually late March or early April.

Lists of funding opportunities by deadline date:

MFA related funding by deadline

Media Studies (MA/PhD) related funding by deadline

Employment at The University of Texas

The Sanger Center for Teaching and Learning is always looking and offers help to Teaching Assistants and Assistant Instructors.

The Undergraduate Writing Center is always hiring writing tutors.

UT Austin Athletics often hires mentors and tutors for the athletes in all areas.

Nonacademic employment — includes links to many job search sites for The University of Texas students.

Travel Funding

The Radio-Television-Film Department offers funds for Professional Development that are meant to help fund travel to conferences or film festivals.  Each graduate student may apply for funds through the RTF Graduate Office and may receive one award each academic year, if possible.  

The College of Communication Career Services Office offers funds for travel through a Career Development Scholarship.  These are awarded once to each student during their career in the College, if possible.

Helpful Documents

Graduate School Continuing Fellowships
Guidelines for PhD Students Applying for Continuing Fellowships

Tax, Tuition Assistance and Education Tax Credit Information
View the PDF